|Ingredients||Single Batch||Double Batch (as in video)|
|Approximate Yield:||15 cabbage rolls||30 cabbage rolls|
|Fresh cabbage||1 head||2 heads|
|Onion, medium, diced||1||2|
|Vegetable oil and/or butter||1-2 tablespoons||2-3 tablespoons|
|Rice, long grain||½ cup||1 cup|
|Water||~4 cups||~6 cups|
|Ground beef (85%)||1 lb.||2 lbs.|
|Chopped parsley (save some for garnish)||1-2 tablespoons||2-4 tablespoons|
|Paprika||¾ teaspoon||1½ teaspoons|
|Salt||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
|Ground pepper||¼ teaspoon||½ teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||6 oz.||12 oz.|
|Boiling water||as needed||as needed|
- Remove leaves from cabbage as demonstrated in video.
- Sauté onion in oil/butter until just beginning to brown. Remove to a heat proof mixing bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in medium pot and add rice. Stir briefly and boil for 10 minutes. Strain through colander and rinse with cold water. Place in bowl with onions along with the remaining ingredients, except for the tomato paste.
- Roll cabbage rolls as demonstrated in video. Place tightly in a large pot.
- Add boiling water to almost cover. Add tomato paste on top of rolls (or as in the video, make a sauce out of the hot water and tomato paste before adding it to the pot). Place a heat proof plate on top of the cabbage rolls and then cover the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1.5 - 2 hours or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked. Or bake in the oven at 350°F if you are using an oven proof pot.
- For more sauce, mix extra tomato paste with water and heat with cabbage rolls before serving. Garnish with parsley.
© 2015 Susan's Cooking School