Buttery, crispy and flaky Armenian style cheese turnovers (Borek). Beautifully buttered fillo layers!
IngredientsYield: 8 servings
- 1 pound phyllo dough
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1½ pounds muenster cheese or a mixture of muenster and cheddar
- about ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 beaten egg for glaze
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Take the phyllo dough out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to making turnovers. Remove it from the box, but leave it sealed in plastic.
- Prepare the cheese filling by mixing together the 4 eggs, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and cheese in a large bowl.
- Prepare the turnovoers as shown in the video above. Brush with the beaten egg and top with sesame seeds (hulled).
- Bake on a parchment lined or greased sheet pan at 375-400°F for 10-15 minutes or until well browned on the outside with cheese melted on the inside.
- You'll want to bite into these right away, but be careful, they are extremely hot! Enjoy!
© 2017 Susan Sady