Polonaise Chicken Apple Salad Sandwiches
At Polonaise Restaurant, this was one of our most popular lunch menu items. It was served with a side of our homemade pasta salad and our customers loved it!
In the picture above, I've made mini-sandwiches, but in the restaurant they were quite large and made with Italian bread rolls.
IngredientsYield: (3-4 cups of chicken salad, 6-8 sandwiches)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium apple, diced
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken*
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- ⅓ cup halved grapes (optional)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- As needed bread rolls or slices
- As needed mozzarella cheese, sliced (or other favorite cheese)
*The cooked chicken can come from a variety of sources. If you like to make homemade chicken stock, use a whole chicken (or chicken pieces) to make your stock and then you'll have chicken meat leftover for salad. You can also poach chicken breast (bone in or out) in a little water in a covered pan until the meat is no longer pink inside. Roasted chicken is another option. Whichever way, it's best to use cold chicken meat when making the salad.
- Toss apples with lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the bread and cheese and gently mix well. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
- When ready to make the sandwiches, place the chicken salad on the bread and cover with a thin slice of cheese. Too much cheese will just run off when melting and make a mess!
- Place the sandwich (open-faced, no bread on top) in the broiler or toaster oven on broiler setting. Cook long enough to melt the cheese and brown it a little. In the restaurant, we buttered and grilled the other half of the roll and placed it on top of the sandwich.
- Serve right away and enjoy! Add a side salad to make a complete meal.
© 2016 Susan Sady