Hungarian Beef Gulyas Soup
Learn how to make delicious Hungarian Beef Gulyas Soup - a family and Polonaise Restaurant favorite! Full recipe and video!
IngredientsYields: 3-4 qts.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onions
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika, sweet
- 1 lb. trimmed boneless chuck, ¼- ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups boiling hot water
- 2 cups diced potatoes set in 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic, paprika and marjoram. Cook one minute more.
- Add beef and water, bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes (with the water) and carrots, bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are almost tender (15-20 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and 2 cups water, bring to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Mix cornstarch with the ¼cup cold water and add to the soup while boiling. Bring to a boil and simmer for one more minute, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh sour cream and top with chives or scallions!
- You can use more diced tomatoes and/or thicken with tomato paste and omit cornstarch.
- Can substitute (the very) hot Hungarian paprika for the ground pepper.
Happy Soup Making!
© 2016 Susan Sady