Pita Pizzas - Spinach and Artichoke
These pita pizzas are super easy and delicious. Experiment with different toppings if you like. You can also use my pizza dough instead of the pita for a more elaborate treat! Just put the toppings on the oiled dough instead of the pita and bake as directed for the pizza dough.
IngredientsYield: Two 10-inch Pita Pizzas
- 1 large pita bread (~10 inches in diameter), split into two circles, horizontally
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups spinach leaves (salad type, packed)
- ½-1 cup chopped artichokes, marinated or regular
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian cheese mix)
- ⅓ cup gorgonzola cheese bits
- To taste: diced roasted red pepper
- To taste: balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil onto a large baking sheet. Spread the pita halves on both sides in the oil. It won't cover completely. Set aside.
- Place spinach in a large heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Brown garlic in remaining oil over medium-low heat, turning to lightly brown evenly.
- Add onions to oil and cook until tender and beginning to brown. Mash garlic in the pan.
- Pour hot onion mixture over the spinach. Toss to mix well.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over each pita half. Sprinkle with artichokes, each cheese, and pepper (and red pepper if used).
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until edges and bottoms are browned and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cut into wedges and serve with a little swig of balsamic vinegar on the top.
© 2017 Susan Sady