Puff Pastry Fruit Tart
A light, flaky and delicious fresh fruit tart that will look like it took you hours to make, but in reality is super fast an easy! Makes a beautiful red, white and blue dessert.
Yield: makes 2 large tarts, about 12-18 servings. Recipe can be easily divided in half.
Puff Pastry Shell
- 1 lb puff pastry (two sheets)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼(or more) cup sliced almonds
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Filling and Puff Pastry Shell above
- 1-2 pints of cleaned fresh berries (if using strawberries -hulled and sliced). For a 4th of July tart use blueberries and strawberries.
- powdered sugar for garnish
First prepare the puff pastry
- Lay each piece of dough flat and trim ½ inch around perimeter.
- With a sharp knife, score a ½ -1 inch rim around each piece, not cutting all the way through.
- Brush with egg and top with sliced almonds.
- Place on sheet pan lined with parchment paer and bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes until puffed and evenly browned. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove center portion with a wide metal spatula. Can re-bake the cut pieces for extra crispiness.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until light.
- Fold in a fourth of the heavy cream and then the rest.
- Place the bottom of the puff pastry shell on serving platter and fill with half of the filling. Distribute half of the fruit over the filling (Can reserve some for garnish).
- Place the puff pastry top over the filling and then dust with sifted powdered sugar. Fresh fruit on the side makes a nice garnish for the platter and/or individual serving plates.
- Repeat with other puff pastry base. Delicious and beautiful!
© 2016 Susan Sady